Have you been feeling burned out? Might I suggest a little POTtery sesh?
Try your hand at making your own clay one hitter aka a bat or a chillum. Never heard of a chillum? A chillum is similar to a traditional pipe, but it looks like a classic cigarette that it is made from clay or glass.
It's a simple design that is essentially a hollow tube with a mouthpiece and forward-facing bowl. They are great because they are discrete and portable. And, chillums are user-friendly, easy to clean, and the perfect size for a solo sesh. Read on below to learn how to make yours...
- Ceramic clay (stoneware or porcelain). DO NOT use polymer or air dry clay.
- A round skewer
- A ribbon or wire pottery tool
- Flat work surface
- Optional - Sponge
- Optional - Underglazes to decorate your pipe
- On a flat surface, roll a coil of clay that is about 1/2 inch thick
- Cut the coil a little longer than the length you'd like your chillum to be. Note: clay can shrink up to 15%.
- Use your wire ribbon tool to carve out a bowl on one end of the coil
- Carefully push the skewer through the center of the bowl out the other end of the coil
- Smooth the bowl + ends of the chillum with your finger or sponge
- Let your piece dry and then decorate with underglaze
- Get your pottery professionally fired and glazed
- Enjoy your one-of-a-kind one hitter